Oct 7, 2012

Merry Go Rounds and Funnel Cake Oh MY!

Today is not just any old ordinary day. Today was "state fair day" for me and the crue! This has been a tradition since the kids were babies, one that I look forward to almost as much as Christmas holidays. The MS State Fair is in my blood. I don't think I've missed more than 2 years since I was a baby myself, and barring extreme weather or hospitalization, I don't think anything else could keep me from going.  The crowds, the food, the rides, petting the alpeca, camels, pygmy goats, donkeys and baby BISON. OH. My. Cute. Just... nothing but love for the fair. 

This year, we had a lot of "firsts" at the fair. I let the kids split up, the younger four with me and the older 3 were allowed to venture off as their own group. This way no one would be bored and while I absolutely love the fair, the little ones can only handle that much fun for a little while. After a while they get overwhelmed and then it's no fun for any of us. So we split up, and off we went to the rides (and FOOD)

For the kids, every ride they see is like opening a huge gift, even though they only get to keep it for  a  few minutes. "Mama! Did you SEE ME!!?? I was WAY UP THERE!" says my 5 year old.. with his face covered in chocolate ice cream and powdered sugar. "Mama! I want to ride the rollercoaster, am I tall enough??" 

Dragon roller coasters...
Topsy Turvy Teddy Bears...
High Flyers...
Merry Go Round...
and on and on and on....

Aralyn (2.5) and Brett (4) were super brave. Paul insisted on riding the kiddy rollercoaster with Aralyn, but I think he really wanted to ride anyway. Nevermind he barely fit in the thing. I wanted to ride too, but the kids were so "I'm not scared!" I sat back and watched them have fun. Seeing how secure they are really makes me proud. Next year ollie will probably get to enjoy a ride or two, so I look forward to that!

Then there was....
Fried potatoes (sort of like potato chips, but... not)
Funnel cake!!!! (super yum)
Root Beer Floats
Sugar Cookies
Pork Rinds (cajun and BBQ)
Soft Serve Ice Cream
Homemade biscuits and syrup 

Yuuuuuuummmmy

When the money was spent and it was time to go, Aralyn was fast asleep, Brett had to ride on Paul's shoulders a good ways and the girls were walking slower than molasses uphill in a snowstorm. The walk back to the car seemed like forever. I was exhausted as we were leaving  but took one last look to say goodbye till next year. Thank you to the MS State Fair Commission and the State of Mississippi for giving  us a fun family tradition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts :)